Slow Cooked Macaroni & Cheese
It’s a warm day here in Maryland. The temperature is 91 and the heat index is 102. Because we don’t have central AC in our house, I decided to stick with dinner recipes that could either be done in the crockpot or in a skillet.
Tonight’s dinner is something we’ve never tried before: Slow Cooked Macaroni & Cheese from Moms With Crockpots. Macaroni and cheese is one of the first things I learned to make, and because it’s quick and easy, it’s a staple in our household.
– 8 ounces medium shell macaroni
– 2 teaspoons olive oil
– 1 cup evaporated milk
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
– 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or a Cheddar blend
– 4 tablespoons butter, melted
2. Generously butter the sides and bottom of a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker (I use about 2 tablespoons of butter).
3. Combine the macaroni with the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker and blend well. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, stirring a few times.
4. If desired, spoon the cooked macaroni and cheese mixture into a baking dish, sprinkle with a little more cheese, and put under the broiler for a minute or 2, just until cheese is melted.
5. When the macaroni and cheese is done, feel free to spoon into a baking dish, top with a little more cheese, and put under the broiler for a minute or two for that “fresh from the oven” look.
I’ll give a review of the recipe later! :)